Like having your personal information on the web such as home address and telephone number, age, information about your home and more? All in one place? Well have I got great news for you! There's a new(ish) website, spokeo.com, that shares most of your private personal information for free or the whole kit and kaboddle for under $40 a year. Creeptastic!
I visited spokeo, typed in my name and hit enter. My jaw dropped as not only my home address showed up and not one but three views of my home. *waving* Hello, creepers! Also available, my home phone number, house value, household income, credit score and much, much more! How dare they not share my shoe size, at least then, my stalkers could send stylish gifts. Hrmph. Oh well. I didn't freak out, because thanks to a friend's Facebook status update, I knew how to remove my listing. Many thanks, Katy!
Here's what YOU need to do, asap:
1) Go to spokeo.com - their site must be very busy today, be patient, you will want to remove your listing
2) type in your name, city and state
3) The next page will have your info, go to the top of the page and copy the url address
4) at the bottom in small print, click "privacy" - this should take you to a new page
5) paste your page's url address, enter your email and the security code given
6) check your email and click the confirmation to remove yourself
According to Snopes, this is only half the battle. They're still going to sell your info to third party members a la Facebook. But hey, maybe now that creepy guy on Twitter won't show up at your crib with duct tape and chloroform.PS If you do find my address, I wear a size 39 (or an 8.5).
Cross-posted at Pundit League